FA: No charge for Neville over sexist tweets

New head coach of the England women’s football team, Phil Neville, will not be charged over sexist tweets, the FA has said.

The former Manchester United and Everton player has apologised after comments he wrote several years ago resurfaced hours after he was appointed on Tuesday.

On Wednesday Roisin Wood, who heads football’s equality and inclusion organisation, Kick it Out, asked whether the 41-year-old’s “misogynistic and sexist” posts would be examined by the FA.

But the governing body’s chief executive, Martin Glenn, said the comments did not meet the “threshold for issuing a charge”.

However, Mr Glenn added that the coach would be “educated on all aspects of the FA’s regulatory functions and his responsibilities thereunder”.

Neville has been “warned that any future comments that are deemed to cross the charging threshold will be treated with the utmost seriousness and may lead to disciplinary action”.

Neville, who played 59 times for England, wrote in 2012: “Morning men couple of hours cricket be4 work sets me up nicely for the day.”

Asked why he had referred only to men in his post, he replied: “When I said morning men I thought the women would of been busy preparing breakfast/getting kids ready/making the beds-sorry morning women!”

A further tweet from the account, seemingly intended as a joke, read: “Relax I’m back chilled – just battered the wife!!! Feel better now!”

Another from December 2012 said: “U women of [sic] always wanted equality until it comes to paying the bills. #hypocrites.”

More from UK

In a letter to Roisin Wood, Mr Glenn said that prior to appointing Neville, the FA had been aware of “some, but not all” of the historic tweets related to women.

More follows…