Hundreds evacuated after Southampton flats flood
Hundreds of people have been forced out of their homes for almost a week after a water pipe burst caused a “complete loss of power”.
Officials said three apartment blocks in Ocean Village, Southampton had been left unsafe because of the problem.
Occupants of about 300 properties have been forced to stay in hotels or with families since the incident on Sunday.
Firefighters said the basement had flooded, cutting the electricity in the Admirals Quay development.
The problem has affected flats in Blake Building, Moresby Tower and Hawkins Tower leaving them without communal or emergency lighting, lifts, fire defence systems or fresh water supply.
Management firm SDL Bigwood, said it was trying to get people back into their homes “as quickly as possible”.
In a letter to residents, it said the problem meant the buildings posed a “major risk” to safety.
A spokesman said: “We continue to work with all relevant parties to bring about a swift resolution to the complex issues arising from last weekend’s burst water pipe.”
He said SDL was currently working with insurers, who have appointed a critical management team and agreed to reimburse accommodation costs incurred by owners of the flats.
A spokesman for Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service said they were called on Sunday at 21:26 BST to an automatic fire alarm.
He said: “This was caused by flooding to an electrical system which resulted in a power cut. Once we ascertained there was no fire we handed the situation over to the housing management company.”
A letter given to residents said the apartment blocks would be “shut down” until at least Thursday and anyone wishing to access their properties would have to do so with a security guard.