Worboys victim fears cab rapist may contact her

A terrified victim of black cab rapist John Worboys says she fears he will try to contact her when he is freed from prison this month.

The woman said she had little confidence in the parole system after receiving a letter from the Ministry of Justice, warning her of his imminent release.

It read: “The following licence condition will be placed on his licence: Not to approach or communicate, directly or indirectly, the victims of the index offence without the prior approval of the Supervising Officer.”

The victim, who did not want to be identified, told Sky News: “That doesn’t fill me with confidence. Our safety is a big issue. He knows where I live, he had my address.

“What will the police do to make us feel safe? He will be under surveillance, but we won’t be.”

She said she hoped another of Worboys’ licence conditions will be that he stays out of London, where he attacked all his victims in a long campaign of rape and sexual assault.

The victim received a letter from the Ministry of Justice

Image: The Ministry of Justice sent letters to Worboys’ victims

She also urged the new Justice Secretary David Gauke to bring forward legislation to force the Parole Board to reveal its reasons for agreeing to his release after less than 10 years in prison.

The Justice Secretary has announced an urgent review into the Parole Board processes and particularly its dealings with victims.

Mr Gauke said he was already convinced there was a need for greater transparency in a system that currently prohibits publication of the reasons for parole decisions.

Worboys, 60, was jailed indefinitely with a minimum of eight years in 2009 after being convicted of one rape, five sex assaults, an attempted sex assault and a dozen charges of drugging his victims.

He drove a black cab in London and preyed on young, vulnerable women who he thought had been drinking, offering them a lift home and tricking them into drinking spiked alcohol to help him celebrate a bogus lottery win.

Police believed he may have attacked up to 102 women, most of whom could not remember what had happened to them.

The decision to free him has prompted widespread condemnation, especially from victims who claim they were given no chance to consult with the Parole Board panel.

Nick Hardwick

Video: Parole chair: Women ‘were failed’

Some learned of the decision from reporters, before they received official letters.

The victim said: “The Justice Secretary has today suggested that the law could be changed retrospectively which would allow us victims to be told why the Parole Board has made this decision.

“That must now happen, as soon as possible and before Worboys is released. Until it does we can have zero confidence that he won’t reoffend.”

She also said the MoJ letter contained a leaflet from charity Victim Support offering sympathy, advice – and a plea for donations.

The victim added: “How insensitive is that? It really upset me even more.”

More from UK

Speaking in Commons on Friday, Mr Gauke said: “The point that the public at large has to have confidence in our criminal justice system and sentencing is one that I think we would all share.”

“While it appears that the correct procedures were followed, the fact that some victims learned of the decision from the media suggests that there is a need to review these procedures and examine whether lessons can be learned and improvements can be made.”